How to use myGov to transfer your super

2 min read
HomeLearning HubHow to use myGov to transfer your super
If you've had a few jobs, you might have ended up with more than one super fund. This could mean you are paying multiple fees. Combining your super into one account can help you fix this.
Did you know that you can use myGov to transfer your balances between super funds?
Just remember to consider the impact of any loss of insurance cover or other benefits before closing any super fund accounts you may have. Transferring the entire balance of your super account to Student Super will mean that your old account will be automatically closed. You can only transfer your entire balance via myGov.

How to access myGov to transfer your super

myGov is a portal where you can access government services online securely. One of the services you can link is the Australian Tax Office (ATO), if you do this, you can use the ATO to find and manage your super.

1. Login

Once you have logged in, you will see the services you've connected. Select the ATO service. If you don't see this, you may need to link the ATO. Check the myGov website for more information on how to do this.

2. Manage your super

Now you are inside the ATO portal, select Super > Manage > Transfer super.

3. Transfer super from old and lost super funds

All your super funds will be displayed including any lost super held by the ATO. Select all the super funds you would like to transfer to Student Super.
Student Super is listed as "Professional Super / Student Super / Engineering Super" so keep this one unticked.

4. Transfer into Student Super

Once you click continue, select "Professional Super / Student Super / Engineering Super" to transfer funds into Student Super.
Tip: If you don't see this option, you may need to transfer your super via a form instead. This can happen if you’ve recently joined Student Super and the ATO has not yet synced your data.
But don't worry, it's easy to complete the form! You can download it here and you can use all your old super fund information on myGov to complete the paper form. If you need a step-by-step guide, we have written one here.

5. Personal details & review

Most of your details would be pre-filled as you have given myGov this information. Double check that everything is correct, and submit the form.
And that is it! You have successfully organised your super.

One last thing…

To make sure all your future employer contributions are paid into Student Super, you will need to tell your employer about your super account. All you need to do is hand in the pre-filled super choice form that was emailed to you, or login and go to ‘Tell My Employer’ to get another copy.

We discount most fees for members with balances under $1,000.

See our Fees & discounts page or PDS for details